Hiring your first employees is a major milestone for some businesses. It is also a step that includes many new requirements from an employer. This can be a daunting task for new employers. The requirements often include:
1) obtaining an Employer Identification Number;
2) Withholding taxes, filing taxes, and submitting new statements;
3) Verification of Eligibility for Employment;
4) Registering for applicable state and federal programs;
5) Obtaining relevant insurance;
6) Posting notices; and
7) Additional Recordkeeping complications and requirements.
Depending on the type of business, there could be many additional steps to take. The United States Small Business Administration offers a fairly in-depth overview of the most common requirements. You can find that information here. Whether this is your first business or your next business, it is best to consult with an attorney familiar with the complicated requirements and nuances particular to your organization.