In Minnesota, an unwed mother is the sole legal custodian of her child until a court order says otherwise. If you are the father of a child with a woman to whom you are not married, you may need to establish your rights in a court action. The first step is signing a Recognition of Parentage (ROP) in the hospital when the child is born, and ensuring your name is listed on the child’s birth certificate. Unless there is another presumed or established father, an ROP is conclusive as to paternity. A child born to a married woman is presumed to be her husband’s child. If your child’s mother is married to someone else and you want to be established as your child’s father, it is especially important that you assert your rights as soon as possible.