The court can modify legal or physical custody of your child upon the request of either party. The court will use either an “endangerment” standard or a “best interests” standard, depending on what your original custody order set as the standard, in determining whether to order a change of custody. If your current custody order uses the “endangerment” standard, you will need to prove the child is in danger with the other parent to support a change of custody. On the other hand, if your custody order uses the “best interests” standard, you will only need to prove that it is in the best interests of your child that custody be modified.