If you have been abused or threatened by your spouse, significant other, parent of your child or a family member, you can apply for an Order for Protection (OFP). Through the OFP, you can apply for custody, child support, spousal support, and protection for your minor children. Wilson Law Group can assist you in drafting the appropriate petition and affidavit, as well as representing you at any hearings. It is important to have capable representation to ensure that you are protected and able to support yourself and your children through a difficult time. 

Once an OFP is granted by the Court, the sheriff will serve the OFP on the opposing party. The opposing party then has the opportunity to request a hearing if he or she does not agree with the issuance of the OFP. From the time the OFP is served on the other party, it is in effect and he or she cannot contact you directly, through third parties or through social media or text message. A violation of an OFP is a criminal offense and the violator will often be prosecuted.

If you have been falsely accused of abusing or harassing someone and they have obtained an OFP or HRO against you, you have the right to a fervent defense. Wilson Law Group is well-versed in defending clients from unfounded OFPs and HROs. It is important that you understand your rights in this situation and know what your options are to defend yourself.