If you have TPS, DACA, U nonimmigrant status, a pending application for permanent residency or asylum, or one of several other temporary nonimmigrant statuses, you may be eligible to obtain a Minnesota driver’s license.  In most cases, the Minnesota driver’s license will have a “status check” date that matches the employment authorization document (EAD) or visa expiration date. 

If your EAD or visa has expired, but you have an application for renewal or extension of status pending, you may be eligible to temporarily extend the “status check” date on your Minnesota driver’s license.  You can take your receipt notice (proving that his renewal or extension application is pending) to a Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) exam location to seek the extension.  The exam locations are any DVS office that conducts road examinations. 

If you have any questions about whether your immigration status allows you to obtain or extend a Minnesota driver’s license, please schedule a consultation with a Wilson Law Group immigration attorney.